I'm new to the forum, but I have been a hemorrhoid sufferer for a while. I have had five rubber-band ligation surgeries so far, and I'm due for a sixth. Since the roids keep coming back, I have a feeling that I'm treating the symptoms of some greater problem. I have always been a pretty good pooper, so no hard stools or straining on the toilet. But there is blood and pain. I am really interested to hear of other remedies and what has been successful for other people.
A week after the last banding surgery, I was at the gym. I had just gotten changed and my workout mates went out on the floor while I went to the toilet. I had a painful bowel movement, and then felt nauseous and light headed. I had to lay down on a bench for ten minutes to regain myself. I went out to tell the other guys that I wasn't feeling well and I was not going to work out and just change back into my clothes and wait for them. I got out the words "I'm not feeling well", and then I started sweating, saw stars and then I hit the ground. I regained conciousness after a second or two, but my face and lips were as white as a fish's belly. One of the guys drove me to the emergency room, but the tests showed that I was healthy. I have a feeling that the pain from the bowel movement sent me into shock.
I'm a relatively young guy (34), I eat loads of fresh fruit and raw vegetables and lots of leafy greens. I am not overweight, I don't smoke and drink alcohol infrequently. For me, the veins in my rectum REALLY get inflamed with caffiene. If I have a cup of coffee, I will have intense pain and bleeding within 15 minutes. I have completely eliminated coffee, caffienated teas, soft drinks, and more recently even chocolate after a gourmet hot cholocate drink made me start bleeding (real chocolate has naturally occurring caffiene).
My proctologist surgeon said that some people are really affected by tomatos, while a naturopath said to avoid oranges and orange juice.
I have tried the following things:
1. Warm baths with magnesium sulfate salts (really nice, but I can't spend my life sitting in a bath)
2. Preparation H cream (super painful to insert applicator, so I abandon this after one try...maybe it would work if I could use it)
3. Preparation H suppositories (seem to releive pain, but this is temporary solution)
4. White Oak Bark herbal supplements (supposed to help with collagen elastisity - ie blood vessel walls - I didn't really see an effect)
5. Avoid caffeine (works great to avoid hemorrhoids, but not great in getting rid of one's you already have)
6. Avoid "bouncy" exercises like jogging and jumping jacks (same as #5)
7. Tucks moist pads after bowel movement (works great in keeping area clean, they also have a slight astringent effect that is cooling)
8. Annusol suppositories (not as good a PrepH suppositories)
9. Prescription hydrocortisol suppositories (good for antiseptic qualities, reasonable pain relief, helps to stop bleeding, but temporary solution)
I'd like to get more suggestions of things to try. The suppositories are a temporary solution and I don't want to be on pain killers all my life. Has anyone had any great success with treating hemorrhoids? It is going to be at least three months before I can get my next rubber-band ligation surgery, and I can't be bleeding and in pain for that long.