Pain Management

Everything you wanted to know about hemorrhoids but you were embarrassed to ask your doctor!

Pain Management

Postby wellbeing » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:58 am

Undergone the internal haemorrhoidectomy operation - now 3 weeks post surgery. Here is my experience. Unfortunately these operations are undertaken on a day surgery basis. I have no wish to be in hospital any longer than need be, however to have at least 24 hours monitoring and pain management would have been a huge help. I left the day ward with cocodamol and lactulose, a few hours later I was crawling the walls with the pain. After calling both the hospital emergency number and my GP, I was readmitted to the hospital, issued analgesics and monitored for a few hours. I left hospital the second time with analgesics, laxido and paracetamol with instructions to take 8 of each for 48 hours. I was also given antibiotics to take 3 times a day for two weeks. What a relief this turned out to be. For two weeks I maintained a routine of 2 analgesics and 2 paracetamol 4 times a day like clockwork, 2 laxido twice a day and 3 antibiotics. Weeks 3 and 4 this is reduced to 2 analgesics and 2 paracetamol 3 times a day, 2 laxido and no more antibiotics. (NB These dosages may not be suitable for everyone but worked for me). I couldn't take baths as suggested since getting into a bath was virtually impossible, but it is important to maintain cleanliness to avoid infection and I have found baby wet wipes very useful. I couldn't have managed if I lived on my own and my spouse became my full time carer. We have been lucky with the support our local GP has given, albeit that they have needed prompting on a occasion. When I was bed bound, they came and checked on me and provided regular prescriptions. It would be unfair to criticise the NHS for a lack of interest or after care since the people I have dealt with have wanted to provide assistance but it is blatantly obvious that they simply do not have the resources or the tools to carry out the role. My first BM after the surgery was 48 hours later, by which time I had constipation on top of post operative pain. It is a scary prospect to have to go through the first BM and it still hurts. I have lost a lot of weight over the last 3 weeks and still don't have much of an appetite since what goes in has to come out. I find pasta and rice the easiest food to digest along with fruit, veg and yogurt. I also underestimated the time I was going to require off work and cannot see a return for at least another week. This operation is seriously painful and debilitating but in my case I was without any alternative to cure my anaemia.
wellbeing

Re: Pain Management

Postby bleeding-hemorrhoids » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:26 pm

Wow, Wellbeing....so sorry you are going through so much pain.

Sounds like you are on a fair amount of medication and agree that bathing the area is such a good idea, not only to promote healing but also keeping the area clean stops infections and also helps with pain relief too. Have you considered trying a sitz bath...if you'd like more info, check out http://www.bleeding-hemorrhoids.net/treatment/treatments-at-home/sitz-bath they're not expensive and they really do help....I think it would be perfect for you as you have problems getting in and out of a normal bath.

Hope you are feeling much better very soon xxxxx
For more information about hemorrhoids and how to get rid of them go to http://www.bleeding-hemorrhoids.net
bleeding-hemorrhoids

Return to Ask Question, Give Advice