Painful Thrombosed Hemorrhoid

Everything you wanted to know about hemorrhoids but you were embarrassed to ask your doctor!

Painful Thrombosed Hemorrhoid

Postby Pain101 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:48 am

I got food poisoning or something last sat. night. I was running to the bathroom every 5 minutes for about 24 hours with real bad diarrhea. After I was done being sick I realized I had a hemorrhoid. It pops out and is the most painful thing I have ever felt. The hemorrhoid and pain has been around for a week. It doesnt seem to be getting any better. I bought some prep H a few days ago and it helps with the pain for a couple hours and then comes back. This morning the swelling was kind of down but at night flared up again real bad. The pain is really bad. I cant sit and can barely walk. Does anyone know how long it takes for the pain to go away? Even if I wanted to go to the doctor I dont have medical insurance right now. I tried the warm baths and icyin it. Nothing seems to help the swelling go down.
Pain101

Re: Painful Thrombosed Hemorrhoid

Postby DavidH » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:35 am

Chronic or prolonged periods of diarrhea is a factor associated with hemorrhoidal developement. Tenemus, associated with diarrhea, is thought to severely stress the vascular system within the lower GI tract, causing internal pressure on weakened vascular structures that make up the hemorrhoidal tissue. This can cause a rapid deterioration in the damage, resulting in a quick progression from a simple stage I to a stage III or IV external hemorrhoid(s). Clearly, the elimination of the diarrhea is critical, both short and long term, to the improvement of internal hemorrhoids. It's not the diarrhea itself, but the straining which is the culprit.

When the tissue is in a crisis state, it will stay inflamed for a period, until whatever is causing the increased irritation is reduced or removed. Then, slowly, with the application of conservative measures (such as warm and cold sitz baths), the tissue will recover and the swelling will reduce. Pain, associated with internal hemorrhoids, can result from pain associated with a stretching of the mucosa (the surface tissue lining the rectum and anal canal). It can also result from the internal hemorrhoid expanding below the dentate line in the anal canal. The dentate line is a border above which pain-receptive nerve cells differ from those below it. Internal hemorrhoids which have expanded into this lower area encounter pain-receptive nerves, which can result in considerable pain, especially if the tissue remains swollen and the veins severely varicosed.

Over-the-counter medications such as Preparation-H, can be applied to reduce pain and swelling. These are designed to work within the first half-inch of the anal canal. Deeper application is not recommended as the compounds get absorbed at different rates with internal tissues. These will not cure the situation, but only provide temporary relief. Long term, you need to take proactive measures to reduce any contributory factors that might be causing or worsening the situation. There are also long term home based remedies available to assist the body in fully repairing the damaged tissue. In advanced cases, surgical intervention might be warranted. It is important to understand, however, that even with surgical intervention, without altering those factors that led to the hemorrhoids forming, they can return.
DavidH

Postby DAK » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:12 am

Hi,

I get hemroids after diarrhea, had it twice in the past 12 months and like yourself, both have become thrombosed.

I have a cure.....

After my first one hung around for 2 weeks my Doctor gave me a local (ouch) anesthetic, nicked the hemroid with a scaple, removed the clot with a surgical Instrument and sent me on my merry way.

The hemroid pain was gone immediately and the cut healed within 2 or 3 days. Whilst recovering i use Scheriproct cream and within a week it's gone.

I feel your pain and can't recommend this enough.
DAK

Postby Keith » Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:37 am

I would personally avoid using any ointments in my bum at a point where the sensitivity of the skin around the anal area is at its heightened state. Instead, I would try the more herbal/natural route. Surgery can be costly and is not a permanent solution. This is so cos hemorrhoids are more of a lifestyle ailment, where a slight change in lifestyle can mean permanent cure. I know a leading hemorrhoids expert that advices against surgery at all costs and I tend to agree with that observation. In fact, a major TV network flighted an interview with this expert in which a lot of valuable information was shared.
http://hemrhoid.org/curehemorrhoids
Keith

Postby elysseparsons » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:27 am

It must be very painful. In cases where both thrombosed and strangulated hemorrhoids take place, medical intervention is highly recommended. The pain due to thrombosed hemorrhoids is caused by the composition of tissues. There are actually two different kinds of nerves found within the anus – visceral and somatic nerves. Somatic nerves conduct impulses for pain while visceral nerves are responsible for the sensation of pressure and fullness. That is why internal hemorrhoids are painless while external hemorrhoids are generally painful, especially when it becomes thrombosed.

Thrombosed hemorrhoids can be managed using a hemorrhoids treatment; some are home remedies while others are surgical treatments that can be opted for under the supervision of a physician. You mentioned some of them already.

In case none of the natural remedies were able to provide relief against the condition, surgical procedures might be necessary, just like in the case of external or internal hemorrhoids. However, it is necessary to discuss the procedure with your physician thoroughly before going through it.
http://www.hemorrhoidsinsider.com/thrombosed-hemorrhoids/
elysseparsons

Postby Ol Sore Butt » Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:07 pm

External - sore for about a week - friend suggested stitz bath which I did today. After soaking this morning I pushed in on the 'bump' a couple of times with my washcloth and
a couple of globs of black blood, totaling the size of a small grape came out on the washcloth.
Then a little red blood.
I put in a suppository & some of the greasy stuff.. Feels better, I guess.

Anything like that ever happen to anyone? - Did I do bad?
Ol Sore Butt

Return to Ask Question, Give Advice